Questions marked with * are more appropriate for residents.
1. The Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome affects all of the following except
The mammillary bodies
The third nerve nucleus
2. Subacute combined degeneration is:
A genetic metabolic disorder
A demyelinative disease
A nutritional deficiency disorder
A form of motor neuron disease
A paraneoplastic syndrome
3. Korsakoff's amnesia can result from:
4. A 49 year old man had resection
of the terminal ileum and part of the colon for Crohn's disease. Seven years
later, tingling, weakness, and spasticity of the legs develops.
He should be treated with:
. Vitamin B12.
. Vitamin B6.
. Plasma exchange.
. Vitamin B1.
5. A 56 year old man died of
gastric carcinoma. The autopsy revealed pathological changes in the brain shown
The changes are due to:
. Bleeding diathesis.
. Nutritional deficiency.
. Remote effects of carcinoma.